A man – an individual – and being a social animal – needs to interact with each other. Interaction needs identification. It is his name – which provides him identification.
A name is given quite early in life and it wears a tag for the rest of his/her life.
The name is selected on the basis of their suitability to modern life in terms of length, pronunciation and meaning.
The modern tendency in naming a child follows relatively simple conventions. Parents now prefer that child’s name should be simple, short, sweet and possibly uncommon. So that a child stands out in a group.
There are several ways to name a baby :
- It can be a combination of parental name.
- It can be named after a God, Goddess or deity.
- It can be from epic or religious sources.
- It can be based on alphabetical preference and sometimes on astrological calculations.
- It can be given on the basis of phonetic rhythm.
- It can be symbol of dynasty, lineage or caste.
And so on….